(This blog is dedicated to Mita Hede)
- Sweet & Instant Appoo’s
- Fruit Sassame
- Baby Jackfruit (green) & Channa Sukke
- Daali-toye (Mangalore GSB Dal)
- Potatoes in whole red chilies
- Amshe Teekshe (with Lady’s finger or bitter gourd)
- Cabbage vada
Sweet & Instant Appoo’s
· 1 Cup wheat flour
· 2 marble size of jaggery
· 7-8 powdered cardamom
· 1 ripped banana (smashed)
· One pinch cooking soda
· Ghee for frying
· Salt for taste
- Make a paste of flour, jaggery, mashed banana, soda and cardamom adding 1 cup water. The batter should not be very thin just to a pouring consistency.
- Keep it for 5 minutes.
- Take an Appoo’s pan, pour ghee and fry the Appoo’s to a golden brown colour.
- If you do not have a pan, then deep fry the Appoo’s.
- 1 ½ Pineapple
- 2 Sweet n Sour Mangoes (peel skin)
- 100 gms of fresh black grapes
- 1 cup Coconut grated
- 3 dry chilies
- 2 marble pieces of jaggery
- 1 tsp mustard seed
- Salt to taste
- Grind coconut, dry chilies and jaggery together.
- Add salt and half cup of water.
- Fry mustard seed in a tsp of ghee, when it splutters mix with masala and grind for a minute.
- Add pineapple, mango pieces and grapes. Mix together.
- Keep it in a refrigerator for half an hour before the serving.
Baby Jackfruit (green) & Channa Sukke
- Red Channa 1 cup (soaked overnight)
- Skin- off the baby jackfruit (2 cups) and cut into ½ inch pieces, boiled with salt.
- Grated Coconut 1 cup
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for Grinding (B)
- Long dry chilies 5-6
- Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
- Urad dal 2 tsp
- Tamarind ½ marble size
- Fry the ingredients (A) with little oil separately
- Urad dal should be slightly brownish in colour
- Grind chilies, coriander seed, coconut and tamarind. Add half cup water. Do not make a very fine paste.
- Before removing add fried Urad dal. Grind for 1-2 minutes
- Mix masala with boiled Channa & baby jackfruit pieces. Bring it to boil.
- Season with mustard and curry leaves.
Daali-toye (Mangalore GSB Dal)
- Tuvar dal ½ cup
- Water 1 ½ cups
- Green chilies 4-5
- Ginger ½ an inch
- Hing one pinch (asafetida)
- Wash and soak the dal in 1 ½ cups of water for 15minutes.
- Slit green chilies, crush ginger and keep it in a pressure cooker for 10 -15 minutes.
- After it is boiled, transfer the dal in to kadai adds ½ tsp of turmeric powder and salt to taste. Bring it to boil for 5-6minutes.
- 2 tbs of ghee
- 2-3 dry chilies broken into 2 pieces
- 3 curry leaves
Use ghee for garnishing. Add mustard seed, curry leaves, dry chilies and Hing and stir the cooked well. It should be semi thick consistency. Sprinkle with coriander leaves (optional)
Potatoes in whole Red Chilies
- ¼ kg Potatoes
- 6 -7 whole red chilies
- A pinch of Hing powder
- ½ tsp Mustard seed 1/4tsp
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 5 tbs of Oil
- Salt to taste
Method (this dish is generally prepared in oil)
- Wash, cut and cube the potatoes into thinly square pieces
- Add ½ cup water and 1tsp of salt and soak the sliced potatoes for few minutes
- Add 3-4 tbsp of oil in a deep pan and put mustard seed for seasoning. when it crackles, add curry leaves, broken red chilies, Hing powder
- Squeeze the potatoes from the salted water and fry the potatoes adding little salt in a very low flame. Sprinkle little water if necessary.
- Goes well with white rice and dal
Amshe Teekshe (with Lady’s Finger or Bitter Gourd)
- ¼ kg Lady’s finger slit into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lime size tamarind (soaked in 1 cup of water)
- 1 big lime size jaggery
- 2 tbs oil
- Salt to taste
- 7- 8 long dry chilies
- 1 tbs Urad dal
- ½ tsp methi seed (fenugreek)
- Fry chilies & Urad dal (light brown color) and methi seed (brown color)
- Powder all the ingredients and keep aside
- Heat oil, add lady’s finger and fry with salt till it changes its colour
- Cover and cook in a very low flame
- Boil soaked tamarind juice and jaggery
- Add the tamarind, jaggery and the prepared masala. Let it cook till the Lady’s finger is done.
- Garnish with mustard seed and curry leaves.
- If bitter gourd is used, then cut and apply salt and turmeric powder and keep it for sometime
· 1 cup cabbage (minced)
· 2 big onions (minced)
· 7-8 red chilies
· small lime size tamarind
· 3 desert spoon grated coconut
· ¼ cup Tuvar dal
· ½ cup rice
· 3 curry leaves
· Salt to taste
· Soak rice and Tuvar dal for 1 hour.
· Wash it and grind with dry chilies, tamarind, Channa dal and rice
· Do not to add water while grinding (very coarsely)
· Mix minced cabbage with the grounded masala and mix it with grated coconut, salt and onions.
· Keep oil in a deep pan
· Take a lime size of mixed masala. Slightly flatter it and deep fry into a light golden brown.
Enjoy and please send your feedbackJ